Can the Mustang Mach-E Really Tow? Need Your Insights!

I’m considering getting a Ford Mustang Mach-E, and I’m really curious about its towing capabilities. I know the 2024 model has some updated specs, but I want to hear from actual users about their experiences.

Here are some specific questions I have:

• What is the actual towing capacity of the Mach-E? I’ve seen numbers thrown around, but I want to know what people have managed to tow.
  • Are there any legal considerations I should be aware of when towing with an EV?
  • What kind of trailers or campers have you towed? Any recommendations or experiences you think would be helpful?
  • How does it handle while towing? I’ve heard mixed things about high-performance EVs managing heavy loads.

I’m interested in both the numbers and any practical advice. If you’ve towed with a Mach-E, I’d love to hear your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

The Mustang Mach-E has a maximum towing capacity of 3,500 lbs when properly equipped. It’s important to check whether your model has the towing package.

That’s solid information! Does anyone know if that applies to all trim levels? I’m looking into getting the California Route 1 edition, and I’m just wondering about its compatibility for towing.

Great question, @laurastone! The California Route 1 doesn’t come with the towing package, so you’d need to opt for the Premium version or GT for towing.

7 Likes

Thanks for that info! If I decide to tow, what kind of trailer would be safe? I have a small camper in mind.

You can safely tow a lightweight pop-up camper or a small utility trailer. Just make sure not to exceed the load limit!

Is there a specific weight you recommend for the camper? I want to make sure I’m within that towing capacity.

Ideally, stick to around 2,500 lbs for your camper. It gives you some cushion against the Mach-E’s max capacity.

That sounds reasonable! I just want to avoid overheating the motor during long trips.

1 Like

Exactly! Electric vehicles can struggle with heavy loads, especially with long climbs. Just plan your routes considering any elevation.

Good point! Anyone have experience with towing in hilly areas? I’m curious how the Mach-E holds up.

I’ve towed on some mild hills, and the Mach-E handled it well! Just keep an eye on the battery levels as they can drain quicker when towing.

That’s encouraging! If I decide to get the towing package, is it a complicated installation?

Not at all! It’s usually a straightforward process and can be done at the dealership during a service visit.

Nice to know! I appreciate all the insights here. This community is great for figuring out these details!

Right? It’s such a supportive environment for discussing these new EVs. Can’t believe how far we’ve come with technology!

6 Likes

Indeed! Next thing you know, we’ll be able to tow our houses with EVs! Who needs gas?

I’ve been towing with my Mach-E for a few months now! I’ve found that a good hitch is essential. I recommend the CURT 13476 Class 3 hitch for its sturdy build and compatibility.

Awesome to hear! Do you have any tips on brake controllers?

A brake controller is definitely important! I use the Tekonsha Prodigy P3. It has great features and isn’t too complicated to install.