Coilovers vs Air Suspension: What’s the Better Choice?

I agree with griley! Plus, if the air suspension has a leak, it can be really frustrating. Just a thought for anyone considering that path!

Honestly, if your priority is how the car feels on the track, coilovers might be more consistent. Air suspension can be appealing for the adjustability though at the cost of complexity.

Exactly! I’ve heard it can let you adjust your ride height on the fly. Isn’t that worth the extra hassle?

But is that convenience really worth it? I mean, have you factored in the cost of repairs for air suspension? It can add up quickly!

3 Likes

I had air suspension on my last car. Sure, it was fun while it worked, but the maintenance cost killed me! Coilovers feel like a simpler, more reliable option to me now.

Wow, that’s a bummer! What tools did you need for the coilover install? I’ve got a basic toolkit and I’m wondering if I need to invest more.

You can get by with a socket set and wrenches for coilovers. Just give yourself a day, and you’ll be fine! Air tools help but aren’t mandatory.

Sounds pretty straightforward! How about the actual time spent? Any estimates?

5 Likes

I’d say if you’re organized, coilovers can take around 4-6 hours. Air suspension, though? Expect a full day or more, depending on your setup.

Wow, that’s manageable! I’m leaning towards coilovers after hearing all of this. Anyone else want to share their experiences?

I went with coilovers, and I’m really happy with my choice. Plus, I get to skip the headache of dealing with air lines and compressors!

Just remember that everyone’s needs are different! Air setups can be perfect for daily drivers who want that comfort and flexibility.

True! If you’re indulging in both performance and comfort, maybe you should consider your personal priorities and how you drive.

8 Likes

When comparing coilovers to air suspension, ride comfort really varies. Coilovers tend to be stiffer and provide a sportier feel, while air suspension can be tuned for comfort over a range of conditions.

7 Likes

That makes sense! I’ve always heard air suspension can make for a smoother ride, especially on long trips. Is that true?

Definitely! Air suspension adapts well to road conditions and can give a plush ride. However, I’ve found that it can sometimes feel less responsive compared to coilovers during cornering.

Exactly! That adaptability can be a game-changer for comfort, especially in cities with rough streets.

While air suspensions are comfortable, maintenance can be a hassle. Coilovers usually require less upkeep, which is something to consider if you want reliability.

7 Likes

True! I love the practicality of coilovers, but I can’t deny that the plush ride of air can be tempting for everyday driving.

Has anyone tried both systems? I’m curious about how each system really feels day to day!